Tuesday, June 24, 2014

DVD Storage

I finally jumped in and organized our DVD collection! I saw this idea on Pinterest months ago, and I couldn't wait to try it out. During the move, I pulled DVDs from every room, every drawer, every laptop bag I could find and collected them all into well labeled bankers boxes. I had a plan and knew I'd get to them eventually, so they went straight into the garage at the new house so I could sort through them once all the essentials were unpacked.

As we were moving, I went to Target a lot. A LOT. And each time, I would look for something that would work to store them in when we got settled in. That's when I found these boxes (at the bottom of the entertainment center).



They are no longer there, unfortunately--unless you are lucky enough to find them on clearance. But anything about this size would work! They are called "media boxes". Even a shoe box would work, though! Get creative!

Then, I went on the hunt for the DVD sleeves that were mentioned in the Pin I found...with no luck. So I bought some of these at Target (but you can get them anywhere, really). They are paper with a clear plastic window.


We already kept our DVDs in binders (well, most of them), so dropping the cases wasn't a huge deal to me. If that's a problem for you, or you're afraid to commit, you can always store the empty cases somewhere else if you have the room? I do recommend saving anything that you plan to resell someday...for obvious reasons. Also, there are quite a few apps out there that you can use to catalog your collection--and they use your phone's camera to scan the barcode and find the DVD for you in the library. That is a lot easier than typing each title by hand, so you may want to look into that before you ditch the cases as well...I speak from experience here. LOL

Anyway, even after I collected all of my supplies, I kept putting it off and putting it off (story of my life). But as family members decided they'd like to watch something and couldn't find it, I figured it's now or never...right?!


I pulled out some old scrapbook supplies and decided to use these strips as my dividers. I used my label maker to add a letter at the top, and I also made one with # for movies that start with a number (13 Going on 30 anyone??), and I made a label with a bicycle icon for exercise DVDs. 


I took the DVDs out of the binders and cases and sorted them into piles according to the letter they start with. Then I just went through each pile and put one DVD at a time in their new paper sleeves. Once that was finished (that's what took the longest, honestly), I then put them in alphabetical order...well, somewhat. I decided not to be too anal about it. All the As are behind the A tab, but they may be out of order within that category. Does that make sense? I figured for my own sanity, this was best because most likely someone isn't going to return them to the exact spot, so I'm not going to worry about it. As long as Wolverine gets returned behind the W divider, does it really matter if it's in front of What About Bob? Not to me...LOL


The only spot I felt needed a little subcategory attention was the S section...we have a LOT of Star Wars & Star Trek movies so I felt they needed their own sections.


I plan to go back through them all in the near future and put a special marking on children's movies and Christmas movies...so that way when we're thumbing through we can pick them out easily. Maybe I'll make a catalog of titles as well...if I do, I'll let you know!

A video is soon to come, so check back later!


No comments:

Post a Comment